- Sarah Fleming-NikerH.J Newman(formally known at the time Newman & Son) did an amazing job with my mum when she passed in 2011. Now my dad has passed I know they'll do the same thing. I'm eternally grateful for all they've done for my mum & my dad, if I could rate more stars I'd definitely put more than 5.05/08/23
- Mamta PatelI recently attended a funeral service organised by H. J Newman Funeral Director, and it was a truly touching and well-executed event.from the beginning to the end,every aspect of the service was handled with professionalism, compassion and attention to detail. Here’s why I highly recommend H.J Newman Funeral Director based on my experience:23/05/23
- JASWINDER KULLARI just wanted to say thank you to the whole Newman Team, in particular Tina, Barbara and Ben. Each contact with Newmans to arrange mum’s funeral was exceptional. Not only did Newmans ensure the whole day ran smoothly but showed respect for mum. They remained confidential, are compassionate, caring, and truly understand the significance of loss and how to support a grieving family. This is the first time my family and I have arranged a funeral, and we are truly grateful to have been given their details by the registrar's office. We didn’t need to inform them of Sikh customs, instead they were able to reassure and advise us about the process and accommodate our requests. We had arranged for horses and a carriage for mums final journey and it was beautiful, and exactly what mum wanted and deserved. Thank you so much for everything.23/05/23
- Bakshinder MannMy mother’s holy wash was due on Tuesday 9th May. We were advised it was at 3-4pm. We called in the morning to confirm the timings hadn’t changed. Upon arrival we discovered that the holy wash had been carried out an hour earlier. This left us devastated . What an evil thing to do. You should be ashamed of yourselves.23/05/23
- DanielleNewmans Funeral Directors provided our darling Benjamin yesterday with the most outstanding funeral. Ben was so understanding and all the chaps were incredibly respectful, compassionate and kind and very patient. The horse and carriage was beautiful. Thank you all. Love from Danielle & Abbey & Ross ❤️18/03/23
- Michael LongleyI never really imagined I would review a funeral directors, or that there would be much variation between different providers but on both counts I was wrong. We visited 3 companies in Slough. Our first stop was Co-op (they had collected the body as arranged by the police, I guess they get a lot of business because of this...) anyway, they were dreadful, patronising and pushing their most expensive package hard by pointing out they wouldn't have pall bearers carry the coffin on any cheaper packages and would just push the coffin in on a trolley, they also couldn't offer any slots for several weeks. The second company were fine, kind and helpful but only offered a couple of set packages. Then we arrived at Newmans. The woman we dealt with (apologies, I don't remember her name) was lovely. She explained that we were free to pick and choose each and every element we wanted in the funeral with no pressure to add in extras to bump up the cost, we were provided with clear and easy to understand prices for everything so we could make informed choices and they were helpful in recommending suppliers for flowers and order of service stationery but also went to great lengths to reassure us there was no obligation and we were welcome to use our suppliers of choice if we wished. They liaised with our chosen minister and took care of everything to make sure everything was in place for the day and they then carried out the agreed service with utmost professionalism. It's not the sort of purchase you can really be enthusiastic about, but I would recommend Newmans wholeheartedly. The price was competitive but the service was miles ahead of the competition. They made a difficult situation as good as it could have been.29/01/23
- Jane Minday-JonesH J Newman were recommended by a family member. We are so glad they did. My mum in laws funeral arrangements were handled with sensitivity, support and compassion. Barbara was so kind and helpful. We felt so looked after as she guided us through the process. We are so grateful to you all for helping us get everything under control at such a difficult time. My husband also was so grateful to your duty officer who was really helpful. Thank you.12/12/22
- Jaswinder PanesarWe are very grateful to Newmans funeral service for the sensitivity to the family and respect they showed towards our late father. My fathers funeral was smooth and he had a wonderful farewell. As we are Sikhs Newmans were fully aware of the final rites that were appropriate to our faith. They even managed to find a wonderful substitute to a track that we wanted played in the crematorium. Given the circumstances we had a very smooth experience.10/12/22
- paulandjo frostMy family would just like to thank Tina and her colleagues at Newmans for the help they gave us with preparing my dads funeral, from the moment we went through their door they were nothing but kind and helpful and everyone they put us in touch with were the same, nothing was to much trouble for any of them. Thank you for everything you did for us Ann and Joanne18/08/22
- Mark StevensMy Aunt left instructions for her funeral to be undertaken by H.J Newman. She certainly made a good choice. Tina and the team were very supportive and we could not have had better guidance for arranging our first funeral. Everything was explained comprehensively, contacts were given for 'order of service', and for the lady, Pauline, that was to lead the service. All were excellent. Thank you H.J.Newman20/07/22
Traditional | Non-Service | Pre-Paid | Green | Woodland Funerals
01753 524 286
Funeral services tailored to all individual needs and faiths
Providing the highest standard of care and advice remains at the forefront of our business
H.J Newman offers a wide choice of funeral services tailored to all individual needs and faiths including horse drawn funerals, Non-Service Cremations, Pre-Paid Funerals, woodland burials, Green Funerals and Traditional Funeral Services.
Harold Newman’s founding vision of providing the highest standard of care and advice remains at the forefront of our business as one of the last remaining family run funeral directors in Berkshire. A family member is always available during office hours to answer your questions or simply offer advice. In addition we provide an out of hours 24 hour/365 a day service for collection of your loved one.
We can provide a wide range of coffins, from traditional through to environmentally friendly options, to suit everyone’s budget. We can also supply a number of different styles of caskets, urns or keepsake options for cremated remains. We don’t offer funeral packages, we believe each funeral is a unique experience, which is why we listen and tailor the funeral plan to your individual requirements and budget needs.
Call us today or come into the office for a chat. We are always happy to offer no obligation help and advice.
Pre-Paid Funeral Plans
More people are now choosing to make their own funeral arrangements to guarantee their wishes will be taken into account and to relieve some stress from their loved ones.
At H.J Newman we work closely with our partner Golden Charter Funeral Plans to facilitate those wishes. As well as taking the stress away from loved ones, you can also guarantee the price you pay for the service arrangements you really want. Click here to request a Pre-Paid Funeral Plan brochure.
Alternatively make an appointment to come in and talk to us. We are more than happy to discuss available plans and answer any questions you may have, with no obligation.
Whether budget constraints, or the desire to say farewell in your own way without being tied to tradition or ceremony, Non Service Cremations are increasingly becoming a popular option. You can rest assured our family funeral director will ensure your loved one receives a cremation carried out with professionalism and dignity but without the additional costs and ceremony normally associated with traditional funerals like associated Professional services, bearers, family transport and ministers. Come in and talk to us about the Non-Service Cremation options available. We are always happy to offer no obligation help and advice.
At H.J Newman we are pleased to offer a variety of options from transportation, coffins and caskets to suit all tastes, beliefs and budgets. These include coffins made from a variety of ‘green’ materials, including Willow, Bamboo, Cardboard, softwoods etc. Come in and talk to us about the Green Funeral options available. We are always happy to offer no obligation help and advice.
Floral Tributes, Monumental Masonry & Obituary Notices
We can arrange all floral tributes on your behalf through a local florist. All types of floral tributes are offered, from the traditional to special designs to meet your individual or religious requirements.
A memorial is a permanent symbol of remembrance and traditional way of paying tribute to a loved one. We are pleased to offer help and advice to ensure you choose the right memorial for you.
A notice of passing is a lovely way of paying tribute to a loved one. We are happy to offer you advice or leave it all to us to place an obituary notice in the paper of your choice on your behalf.
At H.J Newman we offer to manage that process for you providing a range of options for donation collection. We can supply a donation box to be placed at the church or crematorium during the service, which we leave with you should the memorial gathering be planned to move onto a further location. We are also happy to collate any donations sent directly to H.J Newmans on your behalf and securely forward those onto the family.
UK and Overseas Repatriations
In addition to providing Funeral services in the UK for over 60 years, we also offer a managed repatriation service of your loved ones throughout the world.
It can appear a stressful process but our repatriation service takes away all the worry. We are on-hand and managing the process all the way including; International repatriation to and from any country in the world, guidance and translation of all documentation requirements for Authorities, Embassies and all major Airlines through to returning your loved ones remains to our chapel of rest.
For full details of our repatriation services please feel free to contact us directly on 01753 524286.